Soft, Chewy, Vegan Brownies

One of the worst feelings in the world (and I know I've said this before) is going through the grocery store and seeing something that I'd really like to eat and knowing that I can either buy it and have my 2 year old ask for some and have to tell him he can't have any, or just go without treating myself.
My husband is constantly asking me to make those boxed brownie mixes which call for egg, and even if I could use a substitute, the milk chocolate ones contain dairy and the dark chocolate ones are cross contaminated. It becomes very tiring very quickly knowing that we can't all just sit down and have a nice, enjoyable treat or snack together.
I decided that I would give brownies from scratch a go and my first few times that I followed a recipe I found online, were a complete flop. The brownies were so dark that they were almost bland. My husband didn't mind that much since he enjoys dark chocolate, but our son and myself, could not stand the bitterness of these brownies.
I started to get really discouraged because I just could not think of something to do to sweeten these brownies up. Then, one night while I was lying in bed, some substitutes hit me. I got up the next day and gave it a go and they turned out wonderfully! They turned out looking and tasting just like that box mix! Nice, moist, soft, and chewy with that nice flaky crust on the top!
20150918_131500[1]
You will need:
  • A mixing bowl
  • Whisk or electric mixer
  • Baking pan
  • Baking spray or something to grease your pan with
  • 1-1/3 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 3/4 cup Tablespoons of White  Granulated Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
  • 1/3 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 Cup plain soy milk
  • 1/2 Cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • Mix together the flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder until combined.
  • Mix in the sugar, salt, soy milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
  • Grease your pan
  • Your batter will be extremely thick, almost fudge like, but that's okay! Place the batter in the pan and spread it around evenly.
  • Place in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  • Serve with powdered sugar sprinkled on top, or with vegan ice cream, or plain!
  • Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts