Vegan Chocolate Cake Donut

If you ask anyone who knows me, they can tell you that one of my absolute favorite things for breakfast or just as a treat is donuts! I don't get them nearly as often anymore since my son has gotten a bit older and wants to share things. I then decided to go on a hunt to find the perfect baked cake donut recipe. I found several and each one failed so miserably. No matter how they looked in the pictures associated with that recipe, I could never get them to turn out the same way. They always turned out flat and way too gooey.

As I have learned a bit more about these allergy friendly recipes and have gotten a little more daring with my own experimentation I decided to take my own spin on what I thought would make a good donut and they turned out to be amazing! I was so thrilled to be able to share something that I love so much with my little guy and he really enjoyed them as well!









What You Will Need:

  • Donut Pan
  • Two Mixing Bowls
  • Whisk
  • Cooling Racks
  • Piping bag or sandwich bag
  • Scissors for cutting bag
  • Tall drinking glass
  • Cooking spray (I used a baking spray that has flour in it)
  • 3/4 Cup all purpose flour
  • 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 Cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 Teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 Cup and 2 Tablespoons plain soy milk
  • 3 Tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla or vanilla extract
Directions: 
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray pan
  • Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together applesauce, soy milk, oil and vanilla.
  • Combine all ingredients together and mix well.
  • Place your piping bag into the tall glass and fold the ends of the bag over the edges of the glass
  • Pour mixture into piping bag.
  • Remove bag from glass, twist top to close it and snip off the end (start sort of small and cut it larger if you need to).
  • Pipe your mixture into a donut pan, keep the tip of the bag touching the batter to make it even and consistent(recipe makes 6 doughnuts).
  • Tap your pan on the counter a few times to make sure the batter is distributed evenly.
  • Bake for 12-14 minutes. Donuts should bounce back when pressed lightly. You can also check with a toothpick, if it comes out dry, the donuts are done.
  • Let donuts cool in pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
  • Eat plain or add frosting or ganache (ganache recipe coming soon)
  • Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts